The House Public Education Committee charges, released by Speaker Joe Strauss, include:
- Explore innovative, research-based options for improving student achievement beyond standardized test scores. (Charge No. 2)
- Review current federal testing requirements in grades 3-8 to determine if testing relief is possible. (Charge No. 5)
- Examine STAAR writing scores, and types of writing required, for elementary, middle and high school students. Explore the need for targeted professional development in writing.
- Review the redesign of high school English EOC exams.
- For the entire STAAR assessment program, review accommodations available to eligible students as a result of the elimination of the STAAR Modified exam pursuant to changes in federal accountability regulations.
- Additionally, review the redesign of the STAAR Alternate assessment.
- Monitor and make recommendations for any improvements to the implementation of HB 5, including assessments."